If you’re working remotely you might already be utilizing or on the lookout for a way to make use of password-protected PDFs to assist keep info safety. Right here is how to take action utilizing your Mac’s built-in software.
There are two methods to create password-protected PDFs on the Mac, utilizing Preview or the Print supervisor on the machine.
Use the Print dialog
Right here’s the way it ought to work:
- Create or open your doc. It may be in any file format (Phrase, PDF, Pages, and many others.) that you would be able to print in your Mac. Edit it, make any required adjustments.
- Faucet Print… within the File menu.
- The Print dialog will seem, look to the decrease left nook of the Print dialog field and discover the drop-down menu.
- Click on that menu after which select “Save as PDF” within the choices that seem.
- You’ll see a brand new set of decisions; the one you wish to choose is named “Safety Choices.” That is the place the safe PDF magic sits, and you’ll set passwords to open paperwork, to repeat content material out of the doc and to print a doc.
This hidden expertise ought to profit any Mac person who wants a safer method to share paperwork and recordsdata.
What are the PDF Safety Choices?
There are three PDF Safety Choices obtainable. You allow them by ticking the checkbox beside every choice.
Require password to open doc: Test this, enter and confirm a password, and you can be required to enter the password you created to open the doc. That is fairly helpful when sharing confidential gadgets through e mail.
Require password to repeat textual content, pictures and different content material: Test this field and anybody who opens the doc received’t have the ability to copy gadgets from inside that doc, which supplies some safety towards knowledge leak. There may be presently no safety towards taking screenshots of the doc, however it is not going to be potential to save lots of the doc as a brand new PDF.
Require password to print doc: Test this field and enter and confirm a password and anybody who will get their palms on the doc will likely be required to enter a password to print that merchandise.
You need to then have the ability to deal with these protected PDFs on iOS units.
Use Preview to create password-protected PDFs
You may also use Preview to create a password-protected PDF although you should save the merchandise as a PDF first and also you don’t get entry to as many choices. Right here’s what to do:
- Use Preview to open the PDF you want to shield
- Select File>Export.
- Within the subsequent dialog verify the field beside Encrypt.
- You’ll be requested to create and confirm a password.
- You can provide the file a brand new title within the “Export As” area on the prime of the field, if you wish to preserve each the protected and unique, unprotected file.
As you may see, the drawback of utilizing Preview is that you don’t get entry to all of the protections made obtainable from throughout the Print Supervisor; that is why I favor to make use of the latter.
Want much more safety?
If you wish to additional improve the safety of the paperwork you wish to share, you can even make use of utilities comparable to Keka ($3.99). It applies AES-256 encryption and allows you to cut up your recordsdata into otherwise protected parts, making it much more difficult to get to your info. Keka is a extremely succesful software for dealing with encrypted gadgets of all types.